PreSonus Eris E4.5 4.5-Inch Studio Monitors - Pair
When you're serious about creating music, you need monitor speakers that will reveal all of the flaws in your tracks and mixes. Eris professional studio monitors deliver the truth, thanks to very accurate response, tight bass, and clear upper end.
Cheap computer speakers and home-stereo speakers are designed to make music sound good and hide the flaws, while most low-cost studio monitors are hyped to sound good in the store showroom. If you mix on those speakers, you won't hear problems that can show up in your final production.
Not so with PreSonus Eris-series active studio monitors. Thanks to well-designed Kevlar low frequency transducers, low-mass silk-dome tweeters, responsive Class AB amplification, and professional acoustic-adjustment controls, Eris delivers the goods.
As you expect from PreSonus, they use quality components, are well constructed, and deliver professional audio quality. They're lightweight and compact and look as professional as they sound. But what really sets them apart from comparably priced systems are pro features such as user controls that allow you to tailor the speakers' response to your needs. Yet Eris-series speakers are ultra-affordable, making them a terrific value. And with three models, you can easily find the Eris monitor that best suits your studio needs.
The Acoustic Space Control
All Eris speakers provide three EQ controls in their Acoustic Tuning section: High, Mid, and Low Cutoff. These controls enable you to fine-tune the monitors and even to broadly approximate the sounds of different types of speakers so you can hear what your mix might sound like, for instance, on a car stereo or portable radio. The Low control also is useful when using the Eris with a subwoofer.
In addition to the Acoustic Tuning controls, Eris speakers offer a three-position Acoustic Space switch. This switch controls a second-order, low shelving filter that cuts the level of all frequencies below 800 Hz by a specified amount (-2 or -4 dB) to compensate for the boundary bass boost that occurs when the monitor is placed near a wall or corner. If you don't want to roll off those lows, set it to 0 dB.
This combination of controls lets you create a linear response for accurate monitoring and enables you to simulate different listening environments, so you don't have to listen to mixes on your car, consumer computer speakers, and home stereo to check how the music sounds with different systems. Instead, you can adjust the Eris monitors' response and test your mixes without leaving your studio. No other monitors in this price class offer this degree of control.
If space is at a premium, or if you want the ultimate in portability, consider the ultra-compact Eris E4.5. It may be the size of a computer speaker, but this mighty mite delivers professional audio quality, thanks to a 4.5-inch, Kevlar low-frequency driver; a low-mass, 1 inch, silk-dome tweeter with protective grille; and Class AB amplification. Each speaker is powered by a 25W Class AB amplifier-plenty of juice for a small speaker. The E4.5 ranges from 70 Hz up to 20 kHz, and at 6.42 x 9.45 x 7.09 inches (163 x 241 x 180 mm), you can shoehorn this little beauty into almost any studio space.
The E4.5 has balanced 1/4" TRS and unbalanced RCA inputs, as well as unbalanced 1/8" inputs for your smartphone or MP3 player, giving you all the flexibility you need when replacing computer speakers or those old studio monitors that have misled your ears for the last time. Take a moment, if you will, to consider the E4.5's balanced TRS inputs; balanced inputs help you minimize noise-a pro feature you won't find on competing speakers in this class.
Components and construction
- 4.5-inch Kevlar low-frequency transducer
- 1-inch (25 mm), ultra-low-mass, silk-dome, high-frequency transducer
- Front-firing acoustic port for superior bass-frequency reproduction
- Optimized, resonance-suppressing internal bracing
- 100 dB maximum continuous SPL
Power and safety
- HF Driver Adjust (6 dB, continuously variable)
- Midrange Driver Adjust (6 dB, continuously variable)
- Acoustic Space settings (flat, -2, -4 dB) for accurate mixing contour
- Highpass filter (Off, 80 Hz, 100 Hz)
- 50-watt, Class AB biamplification
- RF interference, output current limiting, over-temperature, transient, and subsonic protection
- Amplifier "soft start" feature eliminates popping on power-up
- Internal power supply with IEC connector
- Power switch with on/off LED
- 1- Stereo 1/8"
- 2- Balanced 1/4" TRS
- 2- Unbalanced RCA
- Frequency Response: 70 Hz - 20 kHz
- Crossover Frequency: 2.8 kHz
- LF Amplifier Power: 25W/speaker
- HF Amplifier Power: (not biamped)
- Peak SPL (@ 1 meter): 100 dB
- LF Driver: 4.5" Kevlar
- HF Driver: 1" silk dome
- Input Impedance: 10 kOhms
- Volume Range: A-type taper
- MF Control: Variable (-6 to +6 dB)
- HF Control: Variable (-6 to +6 dB)
- Low Cut: Flat, 80 Hz, 100 Hz
- Acoustic Space: Flat, -2 dB, -4 dB
- RF interference
- Output-current limiting
- Turn-on/off transient
- Subsonic filter
- External mains fuse
- 100-120V ~50/60 Hz or 220-240V ~50/60 Hz
- Vinyl-laminated, medium-density fiberboard
- Width: 6.42" (163 mm)
- Depth: 7.09" (180 mm)
- Height: 9.45" (241 mm)
- Weight: 13 lb. (5.9 kg)