Yorkville U15PB 15-Inch 3-Way Powered Speaker
Since its introduction in late 2003, the Unity Series has well established itself as one of the most advanced, most versatile and most efficient high-powered portable PA cabinet designs currently available. The radical Unity Summation Aperture Horn Technology provides remarkably even high / mid frequency distribution from the 60° x 60° horn assembly, delivering unmatched clarity and definition from a loudspeaker box.
Building on the popularity of the single 15" and horn Unity U15, the logical step was to offer that highly successful passive cabinet in a radically redesigned active version. The result is the 1000-watt three-way 15" and horn U15P.
The radical nature of the Unity horn required a radical power amp solution to ensure optimum performance from the system. An integrated DSP provides three-way internal crossover, time alignment, component protection, limiting and an extremely accurate overall cabinet EQ. Time delayed output for accurate subwoofer alignment ensures the Unity U15P delivers maximum impact in systems where complex external processing isn't the preferred set-up solution.
The U15P uses a combination of amplifier topographies to ensure reliability and superior loudspeaker performance. Two Class A/B amplifier modules drive the 1.75" horn driver, and to the three 5" ceramic drivers that make up the Unity horn assembly. An additional three-tier designed amplifier module powers the 15" woofer.
The U15P is built using 5/8" birch plywood cabinet construction. Integrated bar handles and standmount adaptor allows the U15P to be quickly and easily integrated into any mobile live PA system. The cabinet's unmatched clarity and performance make an ideal choice as a repeater cabinet in large rooms and concert halls. Integrated flypoints allow the U15P to be flown in multi-cabinet arrays or installations without modification to the box. The cabinet's trapezoidal shape was designed with tight-pack box arrays in mind.
Powered Unity cabinets use a combination of amplifier topographies to ensure reliability and superior loudspeaker performance. Two Class A/B amplifier modules drive the 1.75" horn driver, and to the three 5" ceramic drivers that make up the Unity horn assembly. An additional three-tier designed amplifier module powers the 15" woofer.
Ultra clear reproduction through the high-mid band with extremely linear frequency response is achieved using patented Unity horn technology.
Unity horn technology combines a single 1.75" diaphragm high frequency compression driver alongside three 5" ceramic magnet midrange drivers on a single, highly efficient conical horn. This combines high and mid frequency energy in a single 60° x 60° horn producing all content from 300Hz to 20kHz.
Patent holder Tom Danley explains it this way; "With a conical horn, one sees that at the compression driver exit, the expansion rate is very rapid at high frequency cutoff, and since the expansion rate acts as a high pass filter, the low frequency energy does not couple to the mouth. Move a few inches toward the mouth and one finds the expansion rate is much slower and suitable for low midrange, if only that was where the driver was. All one has to do is obtain a mid driver, suitable for efficient horn loading in that frequency band and find the point in the flare where the expansion rate is suitable for that frequency range and couple the sound in at that point. Because the compression driver and each mid driver are less than 1/4 wavelength apart, their output combines fully and coherently, something which cannot happen if the driver were further than about 1/3 wavelength apart."
In application, all four drivers mounted in a Unity horn measure and act like a single point source. The sound produced from the combined four drivers act like a single driver. Additional DSP (Digital Signal Processing) is not required to time align the mid and high frequencies as required in less innovative designs. This minimizes, if not eliminates phasing and lobing problems typically associated with standard multiple horn 3-way speaker cabinets.
Highly efficiency horn loading means the mid and high frequency drivers are conservatively driven, well below each components maximum power handling. As a result of efficient horn loading and high headroom, mid range harmonic distortion is typically much lower than that measured in most speakers at the same SPL, and far lower than any 2" compression driver could attain. Unlike other multi-driver, two or three way full range speaker systems, there is little self-interference between the various components at crossover and unlike conventional loudspeakers systems, the polar plots are free of lobes and large changes in directivity versus frequency.
The Unity technology takes advantage of the variable flare rate nature of a conical horn. By sectioning the horn according to the expansion rate, the horn can be divided into frequency bands and be loaded with suitable drivers mounted outside the acoustic path. The front-to-back spacing of the drivers on the horn exactly compensates for a drivers inherent "built-in" delays and the phase shift / delay introduced by the crossover. Polar measurements show that while there are four drivers loading the horn, acoustically they act as ONE source. Energy vs. Time measurements show ONE source. Acoustic phase measurements give no indication of where the crossover is, it in fact, looks and acts like one point source.
Extensive research and development using the latest in acoustical measurement and modeling software to ensure that all Unity Series cabinets function equally on their own or in tight pack cluster arrays.
To assist in rigging and flying of all cabinets, nine rigging/flying points are standard as follows on all Unity Series cabinets: 2 on top, 2 on the bottom, 2 on each side and a single pullback. All 9 flypoints feature threaded inserts for 3/8" ATM Eyebolts, the defacto standard for flying hardware due to their strength and durability, not to mention one of the highest load tolerances in the industry.
- Integrated 1800-watt amplifier (1000-watts program)
- Unique 60° x 60° Unity horn assembly combines mid and high frequency drivers on conical horn.
- Max SPL 135dB peak (129dB continuous)
- Tri-amplified power module
- 15" woofer / 3 x 5" midrange drivers / 1" compression driver
- All four component drivers mounted in a Unity horn are mechanically time-aligned to measure and act like a single point source.
- No self-interference between individual loudspeaker components.
- Nine rigging points and internal standmount adapter allow for all possible mounting and flying configurations.
- 15mm 11-ply birch cabinet construction.
- U15PB - black ultrathane (painted) finish
- Made in Canada
- System type three-way active triamp loudspeaker
- Program Power: 1000-watts (1800-watts peak)
- Max SPL: 135dB peak (129db continuous)
- Frequency response (Hz +/- 3dB): 50 - 20k
- Crossover frequency: 350 Hz / 1250 Hz
- Driver configuration: 15" / 3 x 5" / 1.75"
- HF drivers: 1.75" polyester
- HF horn: conical unity: horn
- HF dispersion: 60 x 60 (°H x °V)
- HF protection: DSP limiter
- MF drivers: 3 x 5" ceramic 1" voicecoil
- MF horn: conical unity horn
- MF dispersion: 60 x 60 (°H x °V)
- MF protection: DSP limiter
- LF drivers: 15" / 3" voicecoil
- LF protection: DSP limiter
- Total power: 1000-watts (program) 1800-watts peak
- HF amplifier type: class A/B
- MF amplifier type: class A/B
- Power switch: yes
- Power consumption (typ/max): 3.6A
- Inputs - 1/4" jacks: 2
- Inputs - XLR: 2
- Input sensitivity (vrms sine): 0.775
- Level controls: yes
- Limiter: DSP
- Features: four position delay for operation with subwoofers
- Corners: yes
- Feet: rubber
- Bar handles: 2 side
- Flying hardware: 3/8" x 8 (all corners)
- Pole mount adapter (1 3/8"-3.5cm): yes
- Enclosure materials: 5/8" birch
- Grille: perforated metal
- Finish: black ultrathane (paint)
- Dimensions: 16.5" x 22.5" x 34" x 13" / 42cm x 57cm x 86cm x 33cm (DxWxHxbackW)
- Weight: 92.2 lbs. / 41.8 kg.