Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder
HD VIDEO + FOUR-TRACK AUDIO RECORDER
Think of the possibilities.
The Q8 marries high-definition video with high-resolution audio, making it the perfect camera for music and video creators everywhere. Its 160 degree wide-angle lens and digital zoom ensure that you'll always capture the complete picture. Combine that with ZOOM's groundbreaking interchangeable mic capsule system and two XLR-TRS combo inputs, and you have a world of audio options.
Complete compatibility for total versatility.
The Q8 comes with its own specially designed detachable X/Y microphone, yet it's compatible with many Zoom microphone capsules. If you already use an H5 or H6, you can swap their capsules with the Q8 too. (* EXH-6 TRS/XLR Combo Capsule is not compatible with the Q8.)
The Total Package
Easy to use and full-featured.
The Q8 offers a large full-color LCD touchscreen for ease of use, along with a wealth of advanced features. Dual combo XLR/TRS inputs allow the connection of external microphones and line-level sources, and a built-in speaker and stereo Headphone/Line Out jack provide audio monitoring; there's even an HDMI output for video monitoring.
Its high-quality 160-degree wide-angle lens and flexible mounting options mean that you can shoot high-def video anywhere you go. Plus, there's a USB output that allows the Q8 to be interconnected with your computer so you can use it with your favorite streaming or editing software.
The Evolution Continues
The Q8 offers a slew of innovative features that make it incredibly versatile.
Full range, crystal clarity.
The Q8 delivers that same great Zoom sound quality you'll find in all of our products, with support for high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz audio. It comes with a high-quality detachable X/Y microphone or you can connect different Zoom mic capsule.
A low-cut filter and foam windscreen allow you to eliminate low-frequency noise and rumble, and there are three Dynamics settings, as well as a built-in compressor and limiter. Audio can be recorded along with video, or the Q8 can be used as a standalone stereo or four-channel audio-only recorder.
Go beyond High Definition.
The Q8 goes beyond standard HD, offering 3M HD (2304 x 1296 pixels @ 30fps /24mbps) as well as two kinds of HD (24mbps and 16mbps for increased storage capability) at frame rates of up to 60 fps at 720p for capturing fast action video.
Its F2.0 aperture/160° wide-angle lens ensures that you'll capture every moment with full realism and sharp definition. Three "Scene" presets allow you to use the Q8 in a variety of different lighting conditions. And support for both standard and HD video file formats assures that you'll have plenty of options when it comes to storage and streaming.
Change your point of view.
Need a different POV? The Q8's got you covered. Not only can it be attached to any standard tripod, it comes with a tripod-to-three-prong converter, so you can use it with every kind of action camera mount, too.
Take your Q8 onstage and mount it to your mic stand, amp, or drum kit. Shoot video from front row center and use the supplied stereo X/Y microphone to capture the audience experience. Or use the Q8 at the mixing position and record the feed from the board, as well as the sound of the room. Use multiple Q8s for a dramatic mix of different angles - the full-color touchscreen LCD is fully rotatable so you can always view your image regardless of camera positioning.
USB, BATTERY LIFE, AND FILE TYPES
Connectivity, power to spare, and selectable file formats.
A built-in USB port enables live streaming and allows the Q8 to be used as a webcam or USB microphone. It also allows connection with other equipment and computer software - even an iPad (Apple Camera Connection Kit required) - for post-production capability.
The supplied lithium-ion battery that powers the Q8 can be recharged easily in the studio or in the field, using either an optional AC adapter or via USB. Battery life is more than two hours when shooting at 720p/30fps. In audio recording-only mode, battery life is extended further still.
The Q8 records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, up to 128GB. Video is stored in MOV file format, with various HD settings for maximum video quality, or you can shoot in standard definition (SVGA) when space or streaming bandwidth is at a premium.
Recorded audio can be integrated directly into the MOV file, or audio can be saved separately from the video data.
We're All Creators
Whatever you're into - music, video, podcasting, blogging, or teaching - the Q8 can help you achieve your creative goals. Here are just a few suggestions for ways it can be used.
Capture the total experience.
Great performances can be elusive … but with the Q8, they can live forever. Capture the total experience - not just the sights but the sounds, too. Shoot video from the audience and use the supplied wide-angle X/Y mic to capture immersive sound. Take your Q8 onstage to get close and provide the musician's perspective. Or use it at the mixing position to combine sharp high-def video and stereo room sound with the crisp, clean audio signal coming straight from the board.
THE INDIE FILMMAKER
Run and gun.
The compact size of the Q8 and its compatibility with both tripod mounts and three-prong action camera mounts mean you can shoot footage anywhere, from perspectives other cameras simply cannot capture. Take it to remote locations. Indoors or outdoors, wherever you go, you can count on your Q8 to deliver crisp video with superior audio.
Unique perspective, pro quality.
Get creative and do it right. By bringing together high-definition video and high-resolution 24-bit/96k audio, the Q8 allows you to take your YouTube creations and podcasts to a whole new level. Use your Q8 to educate and entertain, turn viewers into subscribers, and let advertisers know that you're the real deal.
Make a statement.
Don't let anything get in the way of the story. The Q8 is perfect for electronic newsgathering, for conducting interviews, and for creating personal video blogs and podcasts. Capture video and audio to an SD card for later editing with your favorite software or stream it live; you can even use the Q8 as a web camera or USB microphone.
Spread the word.
With its high-quality sound and crisp, sharp video, the Q8 is the perfect teaching tool, ideal for creating detailed video lessons and demonstrating fingerings, bowings, and other playing skills. Use it to capture students' rehearsals and performances so they can review and perfect both form and technique, documenting and enabling their musical growth.
THE VIDEO PRO
Features that matter.
With single-button recording, self-timer, high quality wide-angle lens, and sensing options that automatically adapt to various lighting situations, the Q8 is the ideal tool for creating professional-quality videos with pristine audio.
Transfer the files to your favorite editing software via USB and turn your raw footage into high-quality productions. The Q8's compact size makes it the perfect B-roll camera too, allowing you to go where your big rig can't and capture video from unusual angles. You can even use the Q8 as a standalone audio field recorder.
- Records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, up to 128GB
- High-quality 160° wide angle lens with selectable viewing angles (F 2.0/16.6mm)
- Uses a system of interchangeable audio input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
- Supplied detachable stereo X/Y microphone (XYQ-8)
- Compatible with all Zoom microphone capsules (sold separately)
- Full-color rotating LCD touchscreen
- Support for five HD video modes, up to 2304 x 1296 pixels (3M HD), as well as two WVGA modes
- Frame rates of up to 60 fps for capturing fast action video and slow motion playback
- Three imaging sense options (AUTO/CONCERT/NIGHT) for use in all lighting environments
- Self timer
- Digital zoom
- Records video in MOV format (with or without audio)
- Records audio in AAC and WAV formats, up to 24-bit/96k
- Up to four tracks of simultaneous audio recording
- Two mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors, each with selectable phantom power and -20dB pad
- Analog-style gain controls for each input
- Built-in audio mixer
- Stereo link function
- Built-in compressor, limiter, and leveler
- MS Matrix function converts Mid-Side signal from external mics to standard stereo
- Supplied foam windscreen and low-cut filter for the elimination of low-frequency noise and rumble
- Dedicated Headphone output/Line out
- Built-in speaker for fast monitoring
- HDMI video output for connection to HDTVs, selectable between NTSC and PAL
- USB interface for live streaming and data transfer to and from computer editing software
- Webcam and USB mic function for use with external devices such as computers and iPads (Apple Camera Connection Kit required)
- Direct monitoring for zero latency during use as a USB mic
- Compatible with USTREAM Producer, Flash live Media Encorder, Skype, and other popular streaming applications
- SD card reader function
- Rechargeable Li-Ion battery (chargeable via USB or optional AC adapter)
- Battery life of more than 2 hours
- Standard tripod mount
- Includes tripod-to-three-prong converter for compatibility with all action camera mounts
- SD/SDHC/SDXC cards (up to 128GB)
- 1/3-inch 3-megapixel CMOS sensor
- Fixed focus (36cm - 8) F2.0, focal distance approx. 16.6 mm (35mm equivalent)
- MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV)
- Video resolutions:
- 3M HD (2304 x 1296 pixels) 30fps
- HD (1080 pixels) 30fps, HD (720 pixels) 60fps
- HD (720 pixels) 30fps
- WVGA 60fps, WVGA 30fps
- WAV (16/24-bit quantization, 44.1/48/96kHz sampling frequency)
- AAC (64-320kbps bit rate, 48kHz sampling)
- Low-cut filter
- Auto Gain (Concert/Solo/Meeting)
- Digital zoom (1.0x-4.0x)
- Scene selection (Auto/Concert Lighting/Night)
- Self timer (Off, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds)
- 2.7" full-color LCD touchscreen
INPUT 1/2 Input connectors:
- X/Y mic (XYQ-8): 120° X/Y stereo format
- Maximum sound pressure input: 140 dB SPL
- Input gain: 8 to +52 dB
- Equivalent input noise: - 120 dBu or less
- TRS/XLR combo jacks
- Input gain (PAD OFF): -8 to 55 dB
- Input gain (PAD ON): -8 to 35 dB
- Input impedance: 1.8 k O or more
- Maximum input level: +22 dBu (PAD ON)
- Phantom power: +12/+24/+48V (Global for INPUT 1 and 2)
- Equivalent input noise: - 120 dBu or less
- Combined line/headphones stereo mini-jack
- Type D micro HDMI
- Connector: USB Mini B type
- Operation as mass storage: Class: USB 2.0 High Speed
- Operation as audio interface: Class: USB 1.0 Full Speed
- Operation as webcam: WVGA/720p video size, 48kHz 16-bit audio
- *Operation as audio interface and mass storage supported with iPad (Apple Camera Connection Kit required)
- *USB bus power supported
Battery recharging times:
- Lithium ion battery
- DC 4.2V maximum voltage
- DC 3.7V nominal voltage
- 1700mAh capacity
Battery operation time:
- USB: 4 hours, 30 minutes (approximate)
- AC adapter: 2 hours, 45 minutes (approximate)
- More than 2 hours (when recording 720p/30fps)
- Mic lowered: 158mm (L) x 48mm (W) x 69mm (H)
- Mic raised: 158mm (L) x 48mm (W) x 119mm (H)
- X/Y mic (XYQ-8): 50mm (L) x 37mm (W) x 32mm (H)
- Recorder: 260g / 9.2oz (without battery, capsule)
- XYQ-8 Mic Capsule: 40g / 1.4oz
- Battery: 40g / 1.4oz