DBX 165A Compressor/Limiter
Adjustable attack, release, ratio gain with a peak limiter built in. Great on kick, snare, bass, vocal etc.
The 165A OverEasy compressor/limiter gives the operator complete control of the compression and limiting characteristics. The choice of automatic or manual attack and release rates provides the ultimate in flexibility. The control design and layout reflect the concern of the sophisticated user for repeatable, precise settings. The 165A is a classic design that has extensive applications for delicate situations where the compressor/ limiter must be very unobtrusive in use.
- Compression ratio continuously variable from 1:1 to infinity:1
- In automatic mode, compressor attack and release times are determined by program material dynamics.
- In manual mode, variable attack and release rates allow the 165A to be used as an ultra-fast or slower rms-detecting limiter.
- PeakStop circuit prevents unwanted peaks from getting through.
- Separate detector input allows compression pre-emphasis and other effects.
- Each 165A is equipped with matched rms detectors for stereo-strapping operation without the signal-summing errors of conventional strapped compressors.
- Analog rms meter is switchable to read input or output levels or the amount of gain reduction over a 30dB range.
- Active balanced input for hum and RF rejection.
- 24dBv input/output capability.
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 0.5 dB
- THD: 0.2%, maximum compression, 1 kHz, 0 dBV
- Noise: - 90 dBV
- Maximum Input: + 24 dBV
- Maximum Output: + 23 dBV
- Input Impedance: 22k ohm differential, 11k ohm unbalanced
- Output Impedance: Low single ended, for driving 600 ohm or greater
- Gain: - 20 to + 20 dB
- Threshold Range: - 40 to + 20 dBV (Compressor), - 2 to + 24 dBV (PeakStop)
- Maximum Compression: Greater than 60 dB
- Attack Times:
- Auto: 15 ms for 10 dB, 5 ms for 20 db, 3ms for 30dB;
- Manual: variable from 2.5 us to 1 ms per dB
- Release Times:
- Auto: 8 ms for 1 dB, 80 ms for 10 dB, 400 ms for 50 dB; (125 dB/s rate);
- Manual: variable from 250 us to 100 ms per dB