Fostex FR2 High Def 2 Ch Compact Flash RecorderThe new Fostex FR-2 has been designed specifically for location sound recording; high quality sound effects acquisition; TV & radio documentary; in fact any application where quality audio recording is required.With excellent quality (up to 24-bit / 192KHz recording - a first for a CF recorder), huge feature list and a cost-effective price point, the FR-2 offers users of portable DAT and other formats the opportunity to make the switch to a more flexible, higher quality audio acquisition machine without sacrificing features.
Excellent Audio CompatibilityIn adopting the BWF Broadcast WAV file format, the FR-2 offers what is now the most popular choice for professional recording. It can be set to record mono or stereo files with 16 or 24-bit quantisation over a vast range of frequencies from 22.05kHz for extended recording time up to 192kHz for the highest quality audio acquisition. Transferring files for editing and/or backup is fast and simple via a Compact Flash reader attached to a computer; a PCMCIA slot and/or a CF adaptor - ideal for those editing with a laptop; or indeed the on-board USB port.
Professional FeaturesThe FR-2 incorporates a number of features developed through Fostex’s work in location DVD-RAM recording with the PD-6 and DV40.Automated file/take naming speeds up time spent naming files between takes on location and complies with both US and Euro clapper board standards. In addition, the inclusion of a ‘pre-record’ buffer (user adjustable) means there should never be another missed take or lost soundbite!
TimecodeThe FR-2 can be retrofitted with an optional, fully featured timecode card offering both reader and generator thus turning it into the ideal production and location recorder, whether it be used as a master or backup machine.
All Bases CoveredExcellent audio integrity, fully flexible recording, top quality mic amps, extensive interfacing plus optional timecode prove the Fostex FR-2 has all bases covered.
- Recording industry standard, PC-compatible BWF files (stereo/mono) on a FAT32 media format
- Up to 24-bit/192kHz uncompressed recording
- Includes a unique 22.05kHz sampling frequency setting for extended recording
- Records to both Type I & II CompactFlash cards and PCMCIA 1.8" hard disk drives*1
- Fostex’s "File per Take" system with auto scene & take naming/increment
- Two balanced XLR microphone inputs with switchable phantom power and top quality, high headroom mic pre-amps
- 132 x 64 dot matrix LCD screen for ease of use & high visibility in the field
- Uses AA-sized rechargeable NiMH batteries which are widely available due to the popularity of digital cameras. 8 AA cells will provide approximately 2.5 hours operation when recording to a CF card
- Easy file transfer to PC/Mac via PCMCIA, CF adaptor or standard on-board USB connection for data editing and/or backup*2
- Quick and easy on-board file naming or via external keyboard through standard USB keyboard port
- "Pre-record" loop buffer of approximately 10 seconds*3
- Easy software update via CF or PCMCIA card with downloads from the internet
- Optional timecode generator / reader card
- 1 May require software update for PCMCIA HD operation
- 2 Complies with Windows ME/2000/XP, Mac OS 10.2 or higher
- 3 Varies depending on sampling frequency"
Choice of MediaThe FR-2 can record to Type I & II CompactFlash cards and the new breed of PCMCIA 1.8-inch hard disk drives (up to fs 96kHz), offering maximum flexibility and choice.The new 1.8-inch Type II PC Card hard disk drives pack high capacity into a very compact format. Their powerful, lightweight design makes them an ideal acquisition media offering, for example, 289 minutes of stereo recording at 24-bit/48kHz.
Model 8347 Timecode CardThe FR-2 can be retrofitted with an optional timecode reader/generator card. The card can be fully configured though FR-2's front panel display to provide all standard frame rates including 23.976 and 29.97drop; pull-up and pull-down and jam sync. The generator can work in 24 hour, Rec Run, Free Run or external, with output being set to repro or gen. The addition of the timecode card allows FR-2 to be used for location recording where portability is key and on sets not requiring an high number of independent tracks. Also FR-2 will become an ideal addition to a sound mixers arsenal also finding a use as a timecode backup machine to his/her main recorder.