MOTU 16A 16-Channel Interface USB/Ethernet/Thunderbolt
The world’s first Thunderbolt audio interface with 16 analog inputs and outputs, 48-channel mixing and AVB audio networking. The 16A is one of several new high-performance audio interfaces from MOTU that combine superb audio quality, large console style mixing, and state-of-the-art features.
Superb audio quality - For example, the balanced TRS analog outputs produce 123 dB dynamic range and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.
64 simultaneous audio channels - Sixteen balanced/unbalanced TRS analog inputs and outputs, plus 2 x 8-channel ADAT optical ports for 32 inputs and 32 outputs.
Universal connectivity - Connects to a computer with Thunderbolt, standard AVB Ethernet or audio class compliant high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0 and iOS.) Discovery app and web app software works alongside any host audio software.
On-board DSP with mixing and effects - Flexible 48-input digital mixer modeled after large format mixing consoles, with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb, 4-band EQ, gate, and compression.
32-bit floating point processing - The 16A's mixing and effects DSP engine delivers virtually unlimited headroom and the utmost in sound quality.
Modeled vintage effects processing - Classic reverb. Compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A compressor. EQ modeled after British analog console EQs.
System expansion and audio networking - Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately). Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (hundreds of meters.) Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
Matrix routing and splitting - Flexible, matrix-style audio routing and splitting for any analog or digital input, computer channel or network stream to any other output, computer, or network device. Split any single input to unlimited multiple output destinations.
256 channels of network audio I/O for your host computer - Record and monitor up to 128 networked audio channels in and out, simultaneously, through the Thunderbolt connection to a host computer.
Web app control - Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network.
Stand-alone mixing with wireless control - Connect an Apple Airport™ or other Wi-Fi router directly to the 16A with a standard Ethernet cable and control the 16A's powerful mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live sound mixing.
ADAT digital I/O - Connect outboard digital processors, digital mixers or other gear. 16 channels at 44.1/48 kHz or 8 channels at 88.2/96 kHz.
Comprehensive metering - The large backlit 324 x 24 LCD lets you view all signal activity at a glance with detailed metering for all analog and digital I/O. Access hardware settings from a simple and convenient menu.
AudioDesk - Includes AudioDesk workstation software for Mac and Windows with 24-bit recording, sample-accurate editing and 32-bit mixing and mastering.
- Sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz
- Analog inputs: 16 x 1/4" TRS line inputs (balanced/unbalanced)
- Analog outputs: 16 x 1/4" TRS line outputs (balanced)
- Digital I/O:
- 2 banks (16 ch) of ADAT optical at 1x sample rates
- 1 bank (8 ch) of SMUX optical at 2x sample rates
- Stereo TOSLink (optical S/PDIF) on Bank A (optional)
- Total I/O:
- 32 inputs and 32 outputs (64 total) at 1x sample rates
- 24 inputs and 24 outputs (48 total) at 2x sample rates
- 16 inputs and 16 outputs (32 total) at 4x sample rates
- Computer I/O:
- 1 x Thunderbolt (compatible with 1 and 2)
- 1 x USB 2.0 audio class compliant / USB 3.0 and iOS compatible
- 1 x AVB Ethernet (requires OS X Yosemite)
- Computer I/O channels:
- Thunderbolt (44.1 to 96 kHz): 128 in/out
- Thunderbolt (176.4 to 192 kHz): 64 in/out
- USB 2.0 (44.1 to 48 kHz): 64 in/out
- USB 2.0 (88.2 to 96 kHz): 32 in/out
- USB 2.0 (176.4 to 192 kHz): 24 in/out
- AVB Ethernet: 16 to 128 in/out, depending on host computer speed
- Sync I/O:
- 1 x word clock in
- 1 x word clock out
- Network I/O: 1 x RJ45 AVB/TSN Ethernet (1 Gbps)
- AVB streams (8 channels per stream):
- 16 in / 16 out @ 44.1 or 48 kHz
- 16 in / 16 out @ 88.2 or 96 kHz
- 8 in / 8 out @ 176.4 or 192 kHz
- Front panel:
- 5 x switches • menu navigation
- 324 x 24 pixel LCD for level meters / menu nav
- 1 x AC power switch
- International 100-240V autoswitching supply
- 50-60 Hz • 0.5A max
- Dimensions and weight:
- (width x depth x height, enclosure only)
- 19 x 7 x 1.75 inches
- 48.3 x 17.75 x 4.5 cm
- 5.0 lbs. / 2.27 kg
- with rack brackets removed:
- 17.25 inches (43.8 cm) wide
- 4.9 lbs. / 2.22 kg