Radial PZ-DI Active DI for Orchestra
Variable Load Active DI with Piezo Optimized Input The PZ-DIô is an active direct box that has been designed for acoustic and orchestral instruments, with a variable load that allows you to set the optimal input impedance for your pickups for more natural-sounding results.
Piezo problem solver The PZ-DI has a variable load selector switch that allows you to set the input impedance of the direct box, so you can optimize the performance with your instrument's pickups. The 1 meg ohm position delivers the classic impedance found on most active DI boxes, while the 220k ohm setting warms up the tone of magnetic pickups to provide the feel and tone as if your instrument were connected directly to an amplifier. The third setting is an ultra-high 10 meg ohm impedance that is specifically designed for piezo transducers, helping compensate for the harsh or squawky tone that can occur when a piezo is connected to a lower impedance input.
Variable filter to suit any instrument To remove unwanted resonance on stage and prevent feedback, the PZ-DI is equipped with a fully-variable low-cut filter that gently rolls off low frequencies. The roll-off point of this filter can be raised or lowered to match the frequency response of your instrument, with a lower point for acoustic bass and a higher setting for violin or banjo. A switchable high-cut filter is also included, which is useful on instruments such as acoustic guitars that incorporate a battery-powered preamp, softening any harshness or high frequency edge for a smoother tone.
Using the PZ-DI with a piezoPiezo pickups often sound harsh and unnatural. The PZ-DI solves the problem with a 10 meg-ohm input impedance that extends the frequency response and smoothes out the peaky edges. Adjust the low-cut filter to size the instrument and reduce unwanted resonance.
Using the PZ-DI with active acousticsThe convenience of a built-in pickup and battery powered preamp makes it easy to plug-in and play. But with less than ideal electronics, these instruments end to sound brittle and unnatural. The PZ-DI helps with a low-pass filter that gently smoothes the top end plus a variable low-cut filter to eliminate resonance.
Using the PZ-DI with a magnetic pickupOptimize the tone of the bass by setting the load to 220k-ohm. This produces a warmer tone and natural feel that is particularly useful when recording or when preparing to Reamp. When touring with low-output vintage instruments, set the impedance to 1 meg-ohm to reduce the load.
- Input: 1/4" hi-Z input used to conect the instrument to the PZ-DI.
- Thru: 1/4" hi-Z throughput used to feed an onstage instrument amplifier.
- Load: 3-position switch lets you adjust the input impedance to optimize the load for the type of pickup being used. Set to: 1 meg-Ohm to replicate the traditional DIs, 10 meg-Ohm for piezo transducers, 220 Ohm for magnetic pickupss.
- Pad: Reduce the input sensitivity by 15dB enabling the PZ-DI to be used with high output instruments such as active basses or keyboards.
- Lo-Cut: Variable high-pass filter is used to remove unwanted resonance and size the instrument to suit. Variable from 5Hz to 500Hz.
- Hi-Cut: Used to tame the sound to active instruments that often contain excessive high frequencies.
- XLR Out: Balanced 6000 mic level output, use to feed mixer or mic preamp.
- Phase: 180 deg polarity reverse toggles pin-2 and pin-3 at the XLR output. Used to tame acoustic hot spots on stage and help redune resonant feedback.
- Lift: Groud lift switch disconnectas the ground from the audio signal path and help eliminate hum and buzz cause by ground loops.
- 48V LED: Provides visual status of 48V phantom power. When the LED is on, the PZ-DI is being fed 48 volts from the console.
- Thru Buffer On: Buffers the signal before it is sent to thru-put connector for use with piezo transducers or when using longer cable runs.
- Audio circuit type: Proprietary analog circuit with low-noise FET op-amp
- Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz
- Dynamic range: 105dB
- Gain: +4.6dB
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.02%
- Input Impedance: 10M/1M/220K-Ohms
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms - nominal
- Equivalent Input Noise: -98dBu
- Input pad
- Input Connectors: 1/4" hi-Z input
- Output Connectors: XLR male output
- Construction: 48V phantom - proprietary digital switching
- Weight:1.2lb (0.54kg)
- Shipping size (L x W x D): 127 x 84 x 48mm (5.0" x 3.3" x 2")
- Power: 48V phantom - proprietary digital switching
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 5?C and 40?C
- Warranty: Radial 3-year, transferable