Radial SW8 8ch Backing Track Switcher w/ D-Subs
Auto-SwitcherThe Radial SW8ô is an 8-channel auto-switcher that allows you to set up a redundant backup system by automatically switching between two multi-channel playback systems.
Under the HoodDesigned primarily for live concerts and stage shows where backing tracks are used for orchestration, vocals and sound effects, SW8 employs an adjustable gate to detect a machine malfunction and automatically switch to a second backup machine to deliver a seamless performance. The SW8 will monitor any continuous audio signal such as SMPTE on the main playback system, and should the signal drop it will automatically switch to the backup. Switching can also be performed manually on the front panel, or by using a footswitch such as the Radial JR2. For larger systems beyond 8 channels, multiple SW8s may be linked together.
'Fly-in' ScenarioThis is setup is most commonly employed in the club scene and for fly-in promotional TV and video tours. In these scenarios, everything is mixed to a single stereo or even a mono output to feed the PA system and broadcaster. Some bands have done this with great success but this takes a lot of hard work to get the balance just right.
'Moderate' ScenarioHere, 16 backing tracks are mixed down into stereo subgroups. This is the most common form of backing tracks as the musicians are doing all of the main work and the playback machines are adding icing to the cake. In these systems, you'll see extra left and right drums, percussion & beats, keyboards and orchestration, guitars & backing vocals and often all of the vocal effects.
'Superstar' ScenarioEverything is on backing tracks: drums, electronic beats, instruments, backing vocals, vocal effects and in some cases, even lead vocals. Talking about the various pop bands that incorporate huge, over-the-top production. Every track is broken out to individual channels so the monitor engineer can send different players different mixes & the front of house mixer has total control.
Switch between redundant playback systems.
Manual or seamless automatic switching.
Line level or transformer isolated mic level outputs.
May be linked for larger playback systems.
- Global Pad: Attenuates the signal going to the XLR direct box outputs by -20dB to prevent tranformers saturation.
- Auto On: Activates auto-switch mode. Will switch from inputs-A to inputs-B if the drone signal going to the gate disappears.
- Threshold: Sets the gate input sensitivity. If the drone signal drops below the set threshold the SW8 will switch from inputs-A to inputs-B.
- Mute: Turns off the XLR outputs, leaving the balanced D-Sub output on for local monitoring.
- Standby: Holds the auto-switching on inputs-A so that the SW8 does not switch to inputs-B while waiting for drone signal.
- A-B Select: Front panel selector used to manually switch from inputs-A to inputs-B.
- Alarm LED: Illuminates when the tone signal falls below the set threshold level.
- XLR Out: Balanced, low-Z direct box output is transformer isolated to eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops.
- 1/4" Inputs A & B: Two sets of eight balanced or unbalanced line-level inputs for the primary and backup systems.
- D-Sub Output: Balanced line-level output is used to send the active input set (A or B) to the PA or local monitor system.
- D-Sub Input: Balanced line-level A and B inputs are used to connect two multi-track playback units to the SW8.
- Alt 1/8: Selects between channel 1 or channel 8 to receive the drone track for auto-switching.
- Filter: Lets you use a binary signal such as SMPTE as a drone track by smoothing out the signal.
- Auto-Switch Gate: Used to connect a dronesignal directly to the auto-switching gate. Alternate option to using channels 1 or 8.
- On A/B: Turns on remote A/B switchign function when using the optional JR-2 footswitch. Disables the front panel A/B select.
- JR-2 Link In / Out: Used to connect the optional JR-2 remote footswitch. Switch between A and B inputs and engage standby mode.
- Contact Alarm: Internal relay can turn on a siren or becon when the drone signal drops below the set threshold.
- 15 VDC Supply Provides power to the SW8. With cable clamp for safety.
- Audio circuit type: Passive signal path with active relay switching
- Transformer: Eclipse ET-DB2
- Number of channels: 8
- Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20KHz
- Dynamic range: >120dB
- Gain: -20dB
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.002%
- Intermodulation Distortion: >0.002%
- Phase Deviation: -2? @ 20Hz
- Input Impedance: 140k Ohms, balanced
- Output Impedance: 150 Ohms, balanced
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio: -112dB at 50/60Hz
- Equivalent Input Noise:-95dBu
- Noise: -115dBu
- Maximum Input: 26dBu
- Input pad, Ground lift, Remote Footswitch
- Input Connectors: 1/4" TRS, D-sub
- Output Connectors: XLR, D-sub
- Extras: Contact Alarm Input, JR-2 XLR
- Construction: 14 gauge steel chassis & outer shell
- Size (L x W x D): 17.5" x 6" x 1.75" (44.5cm x 15.25cm x 4.5cm)
- Weight: 9.2 lb (4.2kg)
- Shipping size (L x W x D): 22" x 10.375" x 4.5" (55.9cm x 26.4cm x 11.4cm)
- Shipping weight: 9.7 lb (4.4 kg)
- Power: Two +15VDC/400mA power supplies included
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 5?C and 40?C
- Warranty: Radial 3-year, transferable