Warm Audio WA251 Large Diaphragm Tube Microphone
Faithful Recreation of a Legend
Sound like a legendThe WA-251 was created to offer a classic microphone design to a new generation of recording artists at an affordable price. They spent a great deal of time listening to different ‘251 microphones to determine what people liked about them and why, how various styles of components impact the tone, and how to give the WA-251 microphone a signature that pays homage to the vintage classic, but also stands out on its own.
The WA-251 is an all vacuum tube, large diaphragm, transformer balanced, multi-pattern, large condenser microphone, based on the classic ‘251 that has been used on countless hit records for the last 50+ years. The WA-251 is designed for pro studio, home studio, live, and broadcast applications and sounds great on vocals, acoustic/electric guitars, acoustic/electric bass, drums, piano, strings, brass/woodwind instruments, and an array of other sources.
DesignThe classic ‘251 became extremely popular as a vocal microphone in the 1960’s and is now considered to be one of the greatest condenser microphones ever created. The classic ‘251 is still widely used today in professional recording studios but has become extremely rare and cost prohibitive to acquire.
Designing their WA-251 to sound like the classic ‘251 was no easy task, especially since some of the vintage components are no longer manufactured or available. They are pleased to release such a gorgeous sounding classic to the market at a price that’s reachable to more people than ever before.
- All Brass Capsule: The WA-12-B-60V is an all-brass, edge-terminated capsule that captures all the smoothness, rich top end, and warm vintage sonics of the original CK12 capsule. The WA-12-B-60V uses a variant CEK-12 back plate as a basis, which overcomes manufacturing limitations of the original CK12 capsule. The o-ring and housing of the WA-12-B-60V are all made from brass (no teflon parts), and the diaphragm is 24k gold sputtered 6 micron, NOS PET film (mylar). The end result is a very consistent, reliable capsule which matches the frequency response and tonality of the classic 1970's classic capsule.
- The Transformer: The WA-251 utilizes an American made CineMag USA transformer. This transformer helps provide the present top end and the Large bottom end one would hope to get from a 251-style condenser microphone.
- The Cable: One component of a tube microphone that is often overlooked is the 7 pin cable that connects the microphone to its power supply. When auditioning the WA-251 and other tube microphones they learned quite a bit about 7 pin cables and how the shielding and wire gauge size can drastically change the sonics of a tube microphone. They have partnered with Gotham Audio in Switzerland to use their very carefully built high-end 7 pin "GAC-7 cable". Using this cable increases top end presence and the overall size of the recorded image in the stereo field by reducing phase shift and the parasitic effect often experienced in poorly built cables. Gotham Cabling is very expensive and boutique in nature and shouldn’t be considered a small addition to the WA-251 package.
- The Tube: A Slovak Republic JJ 12AY7 vacuum tube is used in the WA-251. They auditioned 3 tube brands and fell in love with the JJ 12AY7. The frequency response of the JJ tube, and the way it contributes to the circuit is tonally smooth and vintage in nature.
- The Capacitors: The WA-251 proudly uses polystyrene coupling capacitors, wima film capacitors throughout, and an imported Solen French capacitor on its output.
- Custom WA-12-B-60V edge terminated, dual-backplate, all-brass vintage CK12-style capsule
- CineMag USA output transformer
- JJ Slovak 12AY7 vacuum tube
- Gotham 5 meter GAC-7, 7-pin tube microphone cable
- Wima, Solen French, and Polystyrene capacitors
- Polar Patterns: 3 patterns - Cardioid, Omni, Figure-of-eight
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz~20 kHz
- Output Impedance: 200 ohms
- Maximum SPL: 132dB (<0.5% THD)
- Rated Load Impedance: ?2kOhms
- S/N Ratio: 80dBA
- Equivalent Noise: 12dBA (IEC651)
- External IEC grounded PSU
- Total Weight (Mic, PSU, shockmount, cables) - 12 lbs
- Mic Dimensions: 247mm x 46mm
- Dynamic Range: 125dBA
- Includes: Microphone, wood box, PSU, Shock-mount and Gotham cable.