Apogee AD-16X 16-Channel Analog-Digital Audio Converter
The AD-16X, Apogee’s latest and most advanced analog to digital converter, takes the legendary quality of Apogee a significant step forward. Features such as a redesigned power supply, standard 192kHz sampling rates, the C777 clocking technology found in Big Ben, and optional Pro Tools HD and FireWire expansion cards, make the AD-16X the most powerful and flexible A-to-D converter ever.
Advanced High-Definition Conversion - With up to 192k standard sample rates, the AD-16X combines Apogee’s legendary conversion quality with the very latest in high-definition digital to provide unrivaled flexibility and quality.
C777 Clocking used by Big Ben - The AD-16X uses Apogee’s C777 clocking technology. Famous for keeping Big Ben on time, the C777 utilizes an entirely digital process that Apogee has developed with the most advanced Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS) technology and DSP-based digital filtering. With a stable, crystal based digital PLL handling the clocking, the AD-16X is able to intelligently manipulate incoming signals and adapt to them accordingly, resulting in unprecedented jitter attenuation and an astonishing and noticeable difference in sound quality.
Advanced Option Routing - With version 2 firmware, both digital inputs and analog outputs may be routed in conjunction with an installed X-Option card. Please see page 7 for details.
Universal Connectivity - With it’s wide array of standard and optional digital outputs, the AD-16X can be connected to virtually any digital system. The AD-16X includes AES and ADAT Optical digital outputs as standard, while either the X-HD or X-FireWire cards may be installed for connectivity to Pro Tools HD or any FireWire equipped computer.
SoftLimit - Soft Limit is an analog peak limiter that instantaneously and gracefully controls transient peaks, thereby allowing an additional 4-6 dB of headroom. Short of purchasing a very expensive stand-alone compressor/limiter, there is currently no product on the market that handles this process better than SoftLimit.
UV22HR - UV22HR is Apogee´s industry standard technology for reducing the word-length of a high-resolution digital signal to 16 bits. UV22HR is also being employed to produce dramatically improved internet and computer audio content without increased file sizes or data rates. It is estimated that 8 out of 10 hit records are mastered using Apogee’s UV22HR technology.
- 16 channels of premium 24-bit AD conversion
- Sample rates up to 192k
- 16 channels of AES, ADAT/SMUX Output
- Word Clock I/O
- Optional HD card for direct connection to ProTools HD
- Optional S800 FireWire card capable of sample rates up to 192k, compatible with OS X/Widows XP and all popular DAW’s
- All option cards (X-FireWire and X-HD) facilitate connection of multiple units
- “Soft Limit” for maximum digital level without overs (can be applied to a single channel or all channels)
- “UV22HR” for superior dither of high resolution audio to 16-bit (can be applied to a channel pair or all channels)
- Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS) using Big Ben’s C777 Clock Technology up to 192kHz
- Adaptive Loop Filtering (ALF) for optimum clock performance and minimum jitter
- Support for AES double wire and SMUX formats
- Post A/D conversion level monitoring
- Intuitive front panel calibration
- Word Clock termination switch
- Analog in 1-8 Balanced, DSUB 25pin connector
- Analog in 9-16 Balanced, DSUB 25pin connector
- WC in: BNC 75 ohm with switchable termination
- AES-EBU out x 8, transformer balanced, DSUB 25pin connector (192k single wide compatible)
- Optical: toslink x 4, supporting ADAT and SMUX protocol
- WC out: BNC 75 ohm
- One x-type card can be installed, for Firewire, HD and or other future format connectivity
- Sample rates internal: 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192k
- Sample rates external: 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192k +/- 10%
- Frequency response at 44.1 k : 5 - 20.000 Hz (+/- .2 dB)
- Analog levels: 6 to 24dBu max through digital gain adjustment. (Compatible with -10dBV levels)
- THD+N: -110 dB
- Dynamic range: 120 dB A weighted
- Power: 100 -240 VAC, 50 - 60 Hz, 65 Watt