AJA Video Systems Ki Pro HD Video Recorder
Ki Pro is an all-new way of connecting production and post. With it, you can now acquire with the same codec you edit with—Apple ProRes 422—in all 4 types (including HQ, LT and Proxy). Ki Pro simplifies the link between production and post by acquiring on the best codec for use with Apple Final Cut Studio or Apple Final Cut Pro X from virtually any camera, regardless of format. With its extensive analog and digital connectivity, virtually any video and audio source can be fed into Ki Pro. Also included is AJA's powerful 10-bit realtime up/down/cross conversion, allowing you to record in the format you want to edit and deliver.
Small and portable, AJA’s Ki Pro was designed as a field recorder for creating “ready-toedit” professional digital video. Ki Pro supports an Apple “file-based” workflow by recording standard Apple ProRes 422 QuickTime files on industry standard media. Ki Pro supports analog and digital audio/video I/O and records on either removable 34mm ExpressCards or a removable storage module. Two types of storage modules are also available for Ki Pro: a 2.5” SATA hard drive (supplied with the base system), or a SolidState-Drive (SSD) module you can optionally purchase. When removed, storage modules function as a standard FireWire 800 drive when connected to a Mac.
Ki Pro's multi-purpose mechanical design and small form factor allow both “stand-alone” and camera configurations. In standalone mode, it can connect to a camera while sitting on a desk or flat surface. In a camera configuration it mounts between the camera and a tripod using an optional “Exo-skeleton” frame. The frame option allows for flexible positioning of the camera and accessories and serves as an attachment to a professional tripod.
Internally, Ki Pro natively supports the Apple ProRes 422 codecs in hardware, allowing realtime capture directly to Apple ProRes 422 QuickTime files. In fact, while the camera is recording to its own tape or file-based memory, Ki Pro can simultaneously capture the media as ProRes so it’s instantly ready to edit when the removable storage module is connected to a Mac. With this kind of flexibility, you can save time, steps, and get your project done quicker and with the highest quality.
Like AJA’s famous KONA and Io HD desktop products, Ki Pro offers unparalleled connectivity. Within its portable and rugged form factor, Ki Pro offers SD/HD analog I/O, SD/HD digital I/O including SDI, HD-SDI and HDMI, two channels of balanced and unbalanced analog audio with switch selectable line/mic levels, and LTC timecode in/out.
Control options are also varied and flexible. Ethernet 10/100/1000 connection is possible via an RJ45 connector, allowing remote control and configuration from a Mac or PC web browser.
For wireless control, Ki Pro features an internal 802.11b/g antenna and radio for connection to wireless devices such as iPhone, iPod Touch, or 802.11 equipped computers.
- Apple ProRes 422, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Apple ProRes 422 (LT), and Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy)—SD, HD 720/1080, full-raster 10-bit 4:2:2, realtime, implemented in hardware
- Up/down/cross-conversion, 10-bit, realtime, implemented in hardware
- Component HD/SD analog video I/O (6 BNC)
- Composite video output (1 BNC)
- HD/SD SDI I/O (2 BNC)
- HDMI I/O (2 HDMI)
- 2 channel balanced and unbalanced analog audio I/O (4 XLR, 4 RCA)
- LTC I/O (2 BNC, non-looping output during recording)
- IEEE 802.11 wireless
- 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
- Panel user interface features a VFD display (2 line character display), with 14 control buttons, 3 control knobs, and a power button
- Storage Module (HDD) with FireWire 800 port for use with Apple Mac® computers
- (HFS+ file system)
- 12 Vdc AC adapter with industry standard 4-pin XLR connector
- 3-year warranty
- Remote Browser control software. When a Mac®, PC, or 802.11b/g enabled device such as an iPhone are connected via the Ki Pro Ethernet port or its 802.11b/g connection, the device can control the Ki Pro via a web browser
- 20 Preset registers for storing and recalling system preset configurations
- Embedded internal web server for remote control via 802.11b/g or LAN
- Gang recording via multiple Ki Pro units controlled by a master Ki Pro unit
- RS422 control of Ki Pro for VTR-like interaction with edit controllers or non-linear editors
- Alarms to alert you to conditions that may need your attention
Options - AJA’s Ki Pro can be enhanced by purchasing several options:
- Ki Pro Exo-skeleton—provides a surrounding chassis for the Ki Pro that can both mount to a tripod and provide a mount for a camera on top; this combination allows convenient access to controls
- Ki Pro SSD Storage Module—although the Ki Pro comes standard with a removable HDD Storage Module, an optional SSD Storage Module is also available. The Ki Pro Solid State Storage Module (SSD) is recommended for mobile environments where shockproof sturdiness may be needed. The Ki Pro SSD Storage Module offers the ultimate in media reliability.
- Ki Pro Hard Drive Storage Module—although Ki Pro comes with one removable HDD Storage Module standard, you can buy extras and simply swap them as needed.
- Ki Pro Rod Accessory Kit—this kit adds endplates to the Exo-skeleton so you can attach two user-supplied 15mm camera accessory rods. The endplates have knobs for adjusting the height of the rod brackets relative to the camera, as well as a set of knobs for securing the rods in the brackets.
- AJA Lens Tap Cable Accessory—this AJA proprietary cable allows Ki Pro to connect between the lens tap control connector on a lens and camera body, thereby intercepting the lens control signals for use in simple start/stop Ki Pro recording operations. This option is not yet available.